The Mini-MOLPs are a series of five diverse writing competitions with thought provoking themes inspired by international environmental awareness campaigns. Each contest will run for a full month beginning on the 1st April, the subsequent ones running consecutively through to the 31st August.
June 2016: Sonnet for the Solstice – 14 lines
Take inspiration from World Environment Day or World Oceans Day
Wax lyrical with a Shakespearian style sonnet and imagine it performed at the break of day on the solstice.
August 2016: Last Words Monologue – 400 words
Take inspiration from World Honey Bee Day or World Elephant Day
The film is about to end, the last of a species is about to die. Write the script of their parting words.
- The competition is open to writers all over the world
- Entrants must be 16 or over at the time of submission
- Entries must be written in English and must be your own previously unpublished work
- You can enter as many times as you wish
- Entry dates as follows:
- Letter to the Planet: opens 1st April closes 30th April
- Eco-Flash Fiction: opens 1st May closes 31st May
- Sonnet for the Solstice: opens 1st June closes 30th June
- Postcard from the Park: opens 1st July closes 31st July
- Last Words Monologue: opens 1st August closes 31st August
- Entries to be made via our electronic online entry system only
- Entrants may withdraw entries from the competition via email, entry fees will not be refunded
It is not a pre-requisite, but competitors are encouraged to find creative inspiration for their entry from either of the suggested environmental awareness campaigns named in each contest.
You are strongly advised not to leave your entry until the last moment! Magic Oxygen will not be held liable for any problems that may result from technical hitches if you try to enter the competition at a late stage.
It is £3.50 per entry via PayPal, which also allows you to pay by credit or debit card too. Payment must be received before midnight on the final day of each Mini-MOLP.
The Mini-MOLPs invite entries from writers aged 16 or over (at the time of submission) of any nationality, living anywhere in the world. Entries must be written in English but can contain a few words from other languages if required.
Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and in the act of making your submission, you are confirming the work is your own and that you have read the rules and comply by them. Any evidence to the contrary will result in immediate disqualification. Entries must never have been published before.
Entries are to be uploaded via our electronic entry system. Postal entries are not allowed for the Mini-MOLPs.
Receipt of Entry
Once you have finished uploading your entry and have gone through the checkout, payment for your entries will be confirmed by PayPal. You will also receive an email from Magic Oxygen confirming your submission within two working days.
Judging will be done in house by Magic Oxygen staff under the direction of the MOLP Head Judge, Tracey West. Their decision is final, they are unable to comment on individual entries and critiques will not be available. They reserve the right to amend these rules if necessary; any changes will be posted on the Magic Oxygen website.
Details of the winning entry will be announced on the Magic Oxygen website in the first week of the month after the contest has closed.
- The winner will receive 10 fabulous paperbacks from the Magic Oxygen best sellers list, including a fabulous rib-tickling comedy from Bridport Prize winner, Chris Hill, an epic tale of love and liberation from the much loved author, Sue Hampton and many others, with a value of approximately £80.
- The winners will also receive a unique prize which will be revealed in the final week of the contest. These will include having your name written into one of our forthcoming novels or plays, or having your winning entry projected onto a building, or immortalised on an organic Fairtrade tee-shirt or mug, and so on.
- All physical prizes will be despatched within a week of the contest closing.
- Every entrant will have a tree planted for each entry in the Magic Oxygen Word Forest and their GPS co-ordinates will be sent via email after the competition has closed.
- The winning submissions will be included in full in the next Magic Oxygen Literary Prize Anthology in 2017, along with a showcase bio and photograph of the author; click here for the 2016 edition.
Worldwide copyright of the entries remains entirely with the authors. The Mini-MOLP administrators have the unrestricted right to publish the winning entries in their annual anthology and any relevant promotional material.
You must ensure you have read and comply with all the rules before you enter. By entering the competition and uploading your work, you agree that you are in full acceptance of them. Any failure to comply with them may result in your entry being disqualified.